Friday, March 24, 2006

The Kissy Bits #12 - Emotional Honesty

The Kissy Bits #12 - Emotional Honesty

New intro!

Since a lot of people have been asking me when I’ll put the Kissy in the Bits, I’ve decided to dedicate the next few shows to the craft of romance in writing.

Is romance really just about making the right noises?
Let’s talk a bit about getting emotional.

Learn about the Stanislavski method of acting

Deep POV gets you there.

Employ all the senses, go into the deepest details. And once you’re there, dig deeper. And once you’ve added as much depth to a scene as you can? Go deeper!

Your love scenes are not interchangeable. They happen in that order for a reason.

Don’t pull your emotional punches. Dig deep. Strike gold. Make emotions matter in your fiction.

Show Links:
Patricia Kay's Writing The Love Scene
Gary Chapman's The Five Love Languages

Listen to the show

4 Comments:

At 8:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great show, Kiki! I really enjoyed it, and it imparted a lot of useful information to me about writing emotions into a story. You've given me a lot to think about about how to explore the feelings of my characters, and how to push past what I've already found out about them to see if I can discover even *more* about them.

And thanks for the links as well! Great show. I'm looking forward to the rest of your little "mini-series" with great anticipation. =D

 
At 1:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kiki, back in a previous Episode 6 I think, you were talking about responses to when people criticize your genre in general. “Eww… Chick Lit/Sci-Fi, why would you waste your time on that?”

I heard a great response on the Writing Show, the guest host Mick Halpin interviewed John MacKenna and he had a great idea. John MacKenna said that the popular fiction i.e. Chick Lit, Thrillers, Sci-Fi pay for the “Literary Fiction” or as I call it the Stuff that is so weird that the “Literate” people lie about understanding it.

 
At 7:20 am, Blogger Robin L. said...

Excellent show! I agree with the previous poster that I'm anxiously waiting for the rest of the mini-series. I'm writing mystery, but with romance elements and find this podcast very helpful!

 
At 4:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kiki,
I stumbled across Kissy Bits yesterday and I must say I'm intrigued - my computer's speakers are playing up so I haven't listened to the podcasts, but I will! Today as I Googled Kissy Bits I found your live journal. I was reading some of the archived entries and came across your query about good Project Gutenberg titles. I thought I would reply here as I didn't know if you checked replies to old posts on your journal? Anyway, I recommend "A Lady of Quality" and its companion "His Grace of Osmonde" by Frances Hodgson Burnett (yes, of Secret Garden & Little Princess fame - but these are *not* children's books). They have proved to be "love them or hate them" titles amongst my friends so I would love to hear your opinion from a chic lit/romance perspective. I'm in a fair way to being addicted by Kissy Bits, so hopefully I'll get a reply down the track. (PS. Forgive the saga). Messy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home