Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Kissy Bits #6 - Contests

Some layout changes: PayPal donation button and Frappr map button are now at the top of the page.
Help out The Kissy Bits by visiting the blog and clicking on the Google ads at no cost to you.

We're on Podcast Alley, so vote for your favourite romance podcast out there (is there another one?)


Today's show: Contests, the good, the bad and the ugly.

- My contest history
- Is it about winning?
- Some choice morsels of contest feedback
- Which contest is right for you?
- When should you enter contests?
- Money versus gain
- If you are not a competitive person, what then?
- How contests can make your writing worse

Show links:
Contest divas
RWAus
RWAm

Show 07 – 20 January 2006 – Writing Discipline/Commitment

Listen to the show

4 Comments:

At 3:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"'I really enjoy enjoyed your chatty, light style' versus 'You didn't follow the rules of grammar': Gee, guess which one of those two comments I'm more likely to follow."

Hi, Kiki. I'm having a blonde day. I didn't get this. (Or I guess for guys it would be "a jock day.") Could you explain it to me? Which one would you follow? They both seem to be valid comments, and they do not conflict with each other.

-TimK

 
At 11:03 am, Blogger Kiki said...

Sorry, maybe I should have made it clearer. This was in rsponse to a contemporary, first-person chick lit piece. Chick lit lives off its tone and voice. And everyday language isn't always grammatically perfect. So I'd always follow (1) over (2) in these cases. And always for direct speech, too.

 
At 11:30 am, Blogger JRMurdock said...

Hey Kiki,

great show. I've never thought of using contests in a manner to get feedback. I like that.

I was curious, as I don't recall hearing it, but what 'style' does your chic lit take? Is it set in modern times or do you dabble with other themes beyond the romance and characters of the story?

I can't wait for the next episode.

Pod On!

 
At 12:02 pm, Blogger Kiki said...

Actually, the show after the next one will be all about chick lit (since people have been asking...). So you'll have to wait until then (and give me time to come up with an explanation, hehehe).
In general, chick lit is set in modern time. Think Sex and the City or Bridget Jones.
Thanks for listening, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home